Getting Married Checklist
1. Has relevant personal information been gathered?
· Names, ages, health statuses
· Children from previous marriages
2. Has financial situation been assessed?
1. Have assets been itemized separately/together?
2. Have debts been itemized separately/together?
3. Has an apportionment of responsibility for expenses been determined?
4. Have separate/joint savings plans been discussed?
5. Will separate/joint checking/savings accounts be used?
6. Has a record-keeping system been devised?
7. Are there any credit history concerns?
2. If not, is a home purchase planned?
3. Have home ownership options (e.g., joint, sole) been considered?
2. Will separate health insurance plans be maintained?
3. Will health coverage be combined?
4. Does life insurance need to be purchased/upgraded?
5. Does automobile insurance need to be purchased/upgraded?
6. Does homeowners/renters insurance need to be purchased/upgraded?
7. Does disability income insurance need to be purchased/upgraded?
8. Does personal liability insurance need to be purchased/upgraded?
9. Will beneficiary designations be changed?
1. Have investment profiles been determined separately/together?
2. Have investment goals separately/together been considered/prioritized?
3. Has size/frequency of investments been determined?
4. Are separate/joint investments contemplated?
5. Are there current investments?
· Mutual funds
· Real estate
1. Is a retirement plan available?
· Employer-sponsored retirement plan
· Beneficiary designation
2. Will one or both plans be funded?
1. Is there a will?
2. Will changes be made to the will?
3. Is there a trust?
4. Has setting up trusts been considered?
5. Have durable power of attorneys been considered?
6. Have health-care directives been established?
7. Are spousal property transfers anticipated?
8. Is there a concern about equalizing estates?